Monday, March 25, 2013

A day in the countryside

On Saturday we went fruit and vegetable picking at Otaki - about an hours drive from Wellington.

It turned out to be a very hot and sunny day with no wind which is a blessing because picking fruits and veges on a windy day is just not fun.

So here are some pictures taken at our day in the countryside - picking fruits and vegetables.

Red chillies - I've never seen chillies this big.


Red capsicum. 


Tomatoes - some of them were really large


Apples


Apple trees


Pears


Pear trees


Never seen onions this big. I had to hold one and snap a picture.


Here is my bucket filled with apples, tomatoes, and green chillies


And ice-cream. Absolutely heavenly on a hot day. A great way to end the day.

It was quite interesting how they made it. Instead of the usual fruit and scoops, this place blends it all together to create a thick smooth ice-cream. We had to choose the fruits, the ice cream flavour and any other toppings.  So I chose strawberries and bananas with chocolate ice-cream and topping of nuts. Came out with quite an interesting flavour. Predominantly strawberry with a hint of banana kind of as an after-taste.


Unknown Mami


Photobucket

12 comments:

  1. What a delightful experience this must have been. I've started using yellow and red peppers a lot more in food and love them. The ice-cream looks yummy too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once in a while it's fun Corinne - not sure I could do this all the time. I love all peppers (capsicum) and they look so colourful in salads.

      Delete
  2. Holding that onion really put it's size in perspective! But my fave pix was of the ice cream :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolina. the ice-cream was yummy.

      Delete
  3. How nice to go out and pick your own fruit and veggies. I love that big onion...I bet it will be sweet, too! And the chilies are very cool, or HOT! Enjoy your week! We've sure had the wind here the past week or so. Sweet hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lavender Dreamer. I'm sure the chillies were hot - not a fan of chillies, I prefer to see them hanging on the plants! Hugs to you too and enjoy your Easter.

      Delete
  4. Mmmmm… your post has left me craving fruit and ice cream now. Thanks for sharing these lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Xiomara. I'm hungry too. Enjoy your day.

      Delete
  5. So colourful, so delicious, so wholesome! What a lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sleepshort. That is so true though I didn't look at them that way when I took the pics. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  6. That onion is huge. Everything looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Unknown Mami. I was fascinated by it - never seen one so huge.

      Delete

Please leave a comment so I know you visited.

However, any inappropriate comments will be removed.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...